Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Small Fortune by Audrey Braun

This book kept popping up as an Amazon suggestion- I ignored it and ignored it, and then saw that the author was endorsed by Amazon and coming to speak at a bookstore in Seattle. Now I am an author groupie- in fact, my husband has accused me of stalking authors in the past. Nothing scary- I just want to absorb their energy, their motivation- no tying them to the bed and forcing them to write a la Misery.

So, I couldn’t go see her when she was speaking :( but I did finally click the link to read her reviews. If you are getting suggestions from Amazon- don’t be hard headed. Just click the link-they know what they are talking about. There was a short interview with Aubrey and I actually giggled out loud (GOL) when reading it. Now, that's a good sign! She said that she wanted to write a genre book and this story was spawned from an evening joking with her husband over wine. My first thought was- What is a genre book? I looked it up and even wikipedia couldn’t answer me. So I decided to read the book. Plus it’s $2.99- not much of a risk.

Growing up, my mom and I watched Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile endlessly. After reading “A Small Fortune” I assume that genre novels are fun, romantic, edge of your seat, page turners- just like my favorite Kurt Douglas movies. The movies had that unbelievable element to it, but you felt no guilt as you let yourself get drawn in and that is exactly what I did with this book. The main character Celia reminds me of Kathleen Turner- and in my head has that same raspy voice and dirty blond hair. She goes on vacation with her husband and son, only to find that it is not a vacation at all.

The book takes us from Portland to Mexico to Zurich- and the descriptions were vivid enough for me to picture them. The characters were easy to love and hate (I won’t say who was hated- read the book!) and I was quite satisfied when it was done. Actually, it made me want to go on a crazy vacation and really find myself- but if I did that, who would update this fantastic blog? Oh, the sacrifices I make. Do yourself a favor and don’t sacrifice yourself an awesome time- download this book on your kindle, order the paperback copy, make yourself a mojito and enjoy this book. I did!




Other items mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment