Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

I love this cover. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of the movie "The Skulls". Do you remember that movie? A secret society in college that introduced me to the hotness I now know of as Paul Walker. It had that beautiful blonde Leslie Bibb in it- who looks very similar to the cover model of "The Pledge". This has nothing to do with the book itself, but I couldn't ignore the similarities and really hope someone else can identify with me.

Now, on to the Pledge. As you know, I don't like to do big recaps. You can read the book's back blurb or synopses on GoodReads and Amazon. I'd rather just tell you what I thought about the book. I really enjoyed it.

I went into the book with very high expectations. I had read about it months ago on Amazon, put it on my wish list, drooled over the cover and automatically envisioned the main characters as me and Paul Walker. I mean, Leslie Bibb and Paul Walker....

This book pulled me in- it is the first in a trilogy. But it is a satisfying first in a trilogy! That is important- especially if you read my earlier blog about trilogies and my Star Wars conspiracy theory. I hate cliffhangers with no resolution- this gave me an ending that left me happy, but wanting more. Think a whole bag of potato chips. Just enough. Full and happy. But you can handle more- maybe that's just me.

This is another dystopian novel. I looked up the definition in Wikipedia, and the one that applies best is this: Dystopian societies are often imagined as police states, with unlimited power over the citizens. "The Pledge" centers around a world who has different classes distinguished by the language they speak. If you belong to one of the lower classes, you aren't able to understand the languages of the upper class and are not allowed to even look at them when they speak.

The main character Charlie has a big problem- she is a crazy linguist who understands all languages, even one that comes into her parent's restaurant that she has never heard before. The country is in crisis, everyone is suspicious of one another, and the Queen is looking for an heir- or just a body to inhabit for the next 80 years.

This is a fast and easy read that you don't want to end. Great character development- I truly cared about Charlie and absolutely fell in love with her little sister (who is sure to have a significant part in the next book). I am very excited about this series and encourage everyone to pick it up.

Side note- this is so exciting! The author Kimberly Derting lives about 15 minutes away from me!!! I know that I have had to dispel rumors that I'm an author groupie (Thanks to my husband) but really this is too much! I live in a small town outside of Seattle and she lives very nearby. Open invitation for coffee Kim!

Check out her other books too- I haven't read them but am counting on an Amazon gift card for Christmas, in which case I will be buying them all!

Oh and last but not least- (I don't want this to end!!) my 13 old daughter Jhordin loved it too! Her friends want to borrow it, but the cover is too pretty and come on- support a local author. I told them to buy it. And we all agreed, it is well worth the money!




Other items mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment